Saturday, November 6, 2010

Birdies!

Just yesterday I was sitting at my kitchen window when the cutest bird appeared. Hmm, I said, I wonder what kind of bird that is? So I grabbed a camera and took picture after picture. I uploaded the two best ones, and I am almost positive that it is a Dark Eyed Junco! Then I decided that I wanted to see a lot more birds in our backyard, so I set out some pans of bird food, and some filled with water. I will be photographing as many as possible, but if anyone has cool bird photos I would love to see them (you don't have to know what kind they are.) Please either send them to my email or my mom's. If you don't know either email address then leave a note in the comments and we will get it to you. And if anyone has tips on how to get birds to your backyard I would love to hear them! Happy Birdwatching! 
Love, Kayla <3 

1 comment:

Mary Bricker said...

Hi Kayla! I think your dark-eyed Junco diagnosis is right on. My Sibley field guide says the brownish back and sides means it's the Oregon variety, which is the most common one in our area in the winter. Grandma and Grandpa get big flocks of them at their house all winter. I'm curious to see what else you get pictures of! You might try hanging some feeders too, since some birds prefer to feed up on perches instead of on the ground (with scary cats and other predators). Feeders that hold the little black sunflower seeds or thistle seeds are likely to bring in black-capped chickadees, which are super cute :)

also, if you are looking for bird guides, Sibley's is my favorite by far: http://www.amazon.com/Sibley-Field-Guide-Western-America/dp/0679451218/ref=pd_sim_b_4