Thursday, February 24, 2011

Graupel Day!

I woke up the morning of February 24, hoping for a snow day, but to my dismay despite approx. 1" of snow, there was still school. So I continued on like any other day (except for the constant snow distractions, involving, LOOK!!! IT IS SNOWING AGAIN!!! Oh wait, it stopped...) Then at about noonish something started to fall from the sky again! I glanced outside and realized that it was hail, or so it appeared. Going outside to investigate further I found that it was not hail, but looked like styrofoam pieces. I collected a bowl full and brought it inside to look at more closely. I looked it up Wikipedia and found this: 

 
Graupel (also called soft hail or snow pellets) refers to  a 2–5 mm ball of rime; the snowflake acts as a nucleus of condensation in this process. The term graupel is the German word for this meteorological phenomenon.[2] Graupel is sometimes referred to as small hail, although the World Meteorological Organization defines small hail as snow pellets encapsulated by ice, a precipitation halfway between graupel and hail.

I am happy to report that at the moment it is once again snowing! Weather alert: There may be slight Graupeling starting at 1:00!

<3 ME!!!

2 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Thank you for this information. Jonathan, David and I had a discussion after school about whether or not the "snow balls" were hail.

Deairdre said...

It looks like perfect snow cone material.