Thursday, April 28, 2011

Time Management Styles

As the year continues to fly by I continue to wish we had more time. Not-or, at least not just-because there's still so much to learn; but because the longer we go and the more things we try the closer we come to finding methods that work.  Another couple years and I'd have this all figured out!

As I've tried to back off and breath (without letting all education sail out the window) the last couple weeks, I'm realizing some differences in our preferred working styles. I should have seen it sooner~after all this is the kid who used to sit and sort sequins!  I have a pretty short attention span.  It's not Attention Deficit short, but I prefer to do little chunks of things and then flit off to the next.  The difference in our styles really showed up as Kayla helped me get the house ready for Easter Dinner.  While I'm busy rotating rooms/areas: start a load of laundry, spend 10 minutes in the kitchen, 10 minutes on the yard, 10 minutes decluttering the living room, vacuum all the floors, sort a handful of paperwork, take care of 2-3 things on the list of Easter needs, and go back to change the laundry and start the list again with another 10 minutes in the kitchen, etc.  Kayla sits down to spend 45 minutes washing the wall that goes the length of the living room and kitchen and then goes out to completely pick up, organize, sweep and wash down the back patio.

So the school schedule where we hit every topic every day feels great to me! 
I'm good with a day that looks like:
Reading (usually in bed)-45-60 minutes
Memorization work-10 minutes
Greek-15 minutes
Logic-20 minutes
Math-1 hour
Latin-15 minutes
Grammar-45 minutes
Piano practice-15 minutes
Miscellaneous-Art history, blog, postcrossing, geneaology stuff-20 minutes
Science 1 hour
Spanish-15 minutes
History-1 hour
Vocab-15 minutes
Throw in an experiment or a project, take the dog for a walk, watch the birds, etc

Leaving Kayla to her own devices over the course of the last two weeks I've seen her:
Reading an entire assigned book in one sitting
Spending most of a day on math review worksheets
Taking a morning to make a poster summarizing the logical fallacies book we just finished
Reading and taking notes on a large chunk of Biology one afternoon
Sitting in the middle of a history lapbook project with piles of books and working on the activities for a couple hours
Work on translating a spanish children's book

Is she ever going to pick up the grammar book and spend a full day really just digging into predicate nominative phrases? Probably not!
Can you really retain much Latin if you do all the exercises for the week in one sitting and don't look at it again until the next week?  I don't really think so.

But if she can sit and read a week's worth of electron orbits and isotopes in one afternoon who am I to stop her? 

So the new challenge would seem to be finding a way to balance the topics that do need daily time or aren't spontaneously chosen with leaving larger chunks of time to go in depth with other subjects believing that everything will be looked at during a longer cycle instead of every single day.

1 comment:

Mary Bricker said...

Interesting....and cool that you are giving her the leeway to figure out/ try out different time styles. I am still trying to find the right balance of flitting and digging in, in my own work schedule! I see a little of each in my ways of working. I'm most effective in the big chunks, but I noticed when I was cleaning the new place yesterday that I had a bit of your jumping around style cleaning going. But hey, if Kayla wants to come up and help paint the walls or scrub things there, I could use her steady focus! ;)